We're sharing our expert tips and tricks.
Everything We’ve Learnt about Bedding in the Last 5 Years
We're sharing our expert tips and tricks.
Since coming to life in 2017, the Bed Threads team have been determined to deliver the best bedding and advice we can to our loyal community. Sleeping in our own linen each night, styling hundreds of shoots, and listening to our customer's feedback have meant we've become serious experts in the world of bedding and that we've learnt a lot in our five-year journey.
Below, we've collated the tips and tricks we've learnt over the last five years and that will help ensure your bedroom is always looking its most fabulous.
Upsizing your duvet is key
You've probably seen this hack in action before without even realising it, as most beds featured in magazines or on Instagram are shot with an oversized duvet. This allows the duvet to hang over the edge of the bed, or even fall to the floor, making the bed look bigger than it actually is.
So, if you have a double bed, consider buying a Queen duvet and duvet cover. If you have a Queen, purchase a King duvet and duvet cover. (Hint: these options are available with our bedding sets.)
It might seem counterintuitive to buy the "wrong" size, but it makes your bed look like one giant pillow, a space that you can't wait to hop into at the end of a long day.
The essentials for a well-put-together bed
After styling hundreds of beds throughout the years, we've learnt a few different ways to make your bed look as good as possible. If you're opting for a two-colour combination, use the stronger colour on top (the duvet cover and top pillowcases), with the softer colour inside (the fitted and flat sheets, and bottom pillowcases). If you're a bit more adventurous try working with three colours, using the third colour for the bottom pillowcases.
Whether for added warmth in cold weather or as a light alternative when it heats up, a throw thrown over the end of your bed or folded neatly makes a well-styled bed even more stylish.
How to pick bedding colours
Picking bedding colours can be tricky, particularly when you have 23 colourways to choose from. There are a few handy tips you can apply when it’s time to make a choice about what colour you want to purchase for your bed. It’s all about considering:
- Your personal style: Think about the colours that you love to wear, especially when it comes to your cosiest, softest, most relaxing and soothing items of colour, such as knitwear and loungewear. These are the clothes that will conjure up the warmth and calm vibes that you want when you’re in bed, too.
- Your overall home decor scheme: Do you have a colour scheme at home? If yes, what is it, and how can your bed linen work within that scheme? It doesn’t mean your bed linen has to perfectly match the colours throughout your home, but ideally you want there to be a theme that runs across the different rooms in your house - and the bedroom is no different.
- The vibe of your bedroom: Spend some time looking at your bedroom and thinking about the environment you are trying to create there. Sheets, and the colours that you choose for them, are one of the best tools you have to do so.
- Whether you would mix and match colours: Our linen colours are all designed to be thrown together, which makes choosing which shades to style with each other a very fun decorating activity.
You can air dry and tumble dry linen bedding
Both air drying and tumble drying (on a low setting) are perfectly acceptable when it comes to drying your linen. But, if you have the time and want to get the most longevity out of your linen, air drying is the safest way to go as it’s less damaging to the linen fibres. Air drying helps preserve fibres, colours, shape, and elasticity, so we encourage you to use this technique where possible.
Exactly how to fold a fitted sheet
- Turn the sheet inside out and make sure the elastic edges are facing you.
- Grab two corners lengthwise (underside facing down).
- Bring your hands together and fold the right corner over the left hand.
- Swap hands and reach to collect the opposite corners.
- Again, fold the right corner over the left.
- Lay your sheet onto a flat surface and fold it into thirds, and then into thirds the other way.
The perfect pillow placement
We recommend using low-profile pillows made from natural fibres (rather than synthetic) as they sit the nicest on your bed. Whenever we style a bed we use four standard pillows, with the pillows stacked on top of each other. Stacking your sleeping pillows neatly atop one another exudes a no-fuss presentation.
Cushions transform a bed
There’s no instant transformation quite like a cushion. They add colour and texture to a room and make a bed look stylish, cosy, and inviting. Add a darker or opposite cover shade to your linen for drama or select a tone that's on par with your current spread for a look that's chic and minimal.
High-quality bedding truly makes all the difference
You can't put a price on a good night's sleep. Sleep is fundamental for our immune system, and provides restorative time for our body to rest and heal. Having comfortable bedding that feels luxurious, breathable, and perfect for all seasons hugely contributes to the quality of sleep you get each nice. It's your one-way ticket to quality snooze, night after night.
There are no rules
At the end of the day, there really aren't any set rules when it comes to creating the perfect bed. We've seen it all – single-toned bedding looks, bedding schemes that use multiple colours, beds with no top sheets, and beds with an abundance of pillows. It really all depends on your sleeping style and personal aesthetic. We're constantly inspired by the clever ways the Bed Threads Community have styled their beds – there's inspiration galore when you search the #MyBedThreads hashtag on Instagram.
Learn more about linen.